Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Sky's The Limit

Recently, I've been seeing a new phrase around. boing boing currently has it on its masthead as the 'phrase to live by'. It's everywhere, and it is, "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon".

It almost makes you cry with the soaring fabulousness and human yearning  inherent in the precise and crispy wording, doesn't it? However, "the sky is the limit" already means that there is no limit.  "Don't tell me the sky is the limit" makes no sense. If you think the existing catchphrase was intended to crush people's native imagination and will to succeed, then you are poor at English.

It's still a nice phrase though.

3 comments:

KaliDurga said...

That's as bad as people who seem to think that history only goes back 10 years. Some people can't see beyond the nose on their own face.

Mike said...

The UK was introduced to this phrase a couple of months ago, courtesy of The Apprentice.
Which gives me the chance to link to this.

Peromyscus said...

I guess that explains its ubiquity. As for the video, I missed out on them the first time.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.