Friday, July 29, 2011

Watching the Detectives

Reader Mike, in the comments to yesterday's post, points out he's heard dubstep before, and pretty much all the rest.

Hey, Mike, where have you heard this before?


Panic! At The Disco: The Ballad Of Mona Lisa... by jimihubabua



Mmmn?



I think the vocal bears an uncanny resemblance to one Declan McManus' Washing the Protectives, though I'm willing to concede they may both have had a common ancestor.

Also, it has Steampunk imagery, which I'm pretty sure Mr. Costello was too cool to get mixed up in. (I look at the Raconteurs funny too, when it comes to the Steampunk thing.)

3 comments:

Mike said...

I think the royalties are safe.

Though the singer is channeling Johnny Depp as both Willy Wonka and Sweeney Todd.

Bohemian Steampunk Chapeau:
Where have we seen this look before?
Ah, yes. (Couldn't find decent ad-free copy.)
But, who was her inspiration?
Take a closer look at the second hat in that video.
Is it from them? As in this.
No, this is the missing link.
The inspiration.

Mike said...

Mark: "This is my favorite song. This is Sonic Youth doing "Superstar" by the Carpenters."

Juno: "Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah. I know the Carpenters. Chick drummer, freaky dude, not unlike the White Stripes."

Peromyscus said...

Hm, the Monkees as progenitor of Steampunk, in the pay of their Nazi overlords. I think probably not, but it'd make a good movie.

I love the Carpenters. I have more Carpenters records than Sonic Youth records. (i.e. one album)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.