Tuesday, April 08, 2014

The feldspar view - The Kills on art

Alas, my favorite band The Kills aren't doing much in the musical arena at the moment, but they continue to stay in the newspapers.

 photo hinceasleighbowery_zps885257a6.jpg
Jamie Hince done up as Leigh Bowery (Alison did not pose as Lucien Freud.)

On March 24th, the Guardian ran a short video feature of Jamie Hince and Alison Mosshart talking about the greatest duos in the art world. (Or Double Trouble, or the most controversial duos - there may not have been many print words in the feature, but the headline nevertheless managed to appear in triplicate, and not the more obvious trick of feldsparian duplication.) There's not much on the page apart from the clickbait and the video, so I've embedded it below for your convenience.



Although they're grown adults, there's something adorable about watching Jamie and Alison cycle in on a bicycle built for two.

Oddly they did not talk about the double act who tried to turn into each other - Genesis Breyer P Orridge and Lady Jaye.  I saw their documentary a year or so ago and lo, it's available on YooToob.



Back to the Kills. Alison Mosshart made the news again today, with a New York Times Style Magazine feature on her own art.  ("The Kills' Alison Mosshart Reveals Her Artistic Side.") She paints between gigs. Apparently there's a lot of waiting around time involved, which she uses to make her art.  The article has a sample of her work. Most of it reminds me of the skulls the Kills did for BlackBook Magazine's offices in 2009 - I wonder where they are now, and how much the magazine could get for them? The odd one out is the drawing of pretty polka dot horses, and it's one I wouldn't mind having myself.

Alison is showing her work at ArtNowNYC, 548 West 28th Street, 2nd Floor, New York through April 26th.


 photo tumblr_ksb9pzny0H1qziukro1_500_zps179257b0.jpg
(The skulls from BlackBook)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.