Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Sun Dog over San Juan Capistrano, 2014-10-21

Today at about 4:15 pm PST I saw a sun dog in the west.

 photo 20141021_161651_zps0e9fcca7.jpg

The bright spot in the clouds is the sun and the square rainbow to its right appears to be a sun dog.  When I was looking at it I assumed it was either a fuel dump from a plane or a missile launch (because of the uneven contrail above it), so I didn't look to see if there was a corresponding dog on the left hand side.

Here's a closer look at the dog. It was as bright to look at as the sun itself (bearing in mind the sun was behind cloud and not dazzling).

 photo 20141021_161616_zps2fb46acf.jpg

Sun dogs are supposedly caused by sunlight reflecting off ice crystals in the sky - and this is early fall in southern California, so I'm not convinced it's a dog. We checked and there were no missile launches reported for today. If anyone knows for sure, let me know!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.