Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I Don't Know, But I've Been Told . . .

I was watching the Led Zeppelin DVD today, and for the first time I think I made out the lyrics of Dazed and Confused. I always thought it went, "Take it easy baby, let them say what they will. Will your tongue wag so much when I send you the bill?" (and the web agrees with me), but Percy sounds to be singing, "Will your tongue wag so much when I send you to Hell?"

Shock Horror. Does this mean they really were misogynists like everybody said at the time, and I have to rethink my entire childhood identification with Jimmy Page?

Hell, no. (Oops.) Anyway, who can fault a band where the two leads look as good as this together?


Is it warm in here or is it just me?

I'm one of those old fashioned types who thinks there something not quite right about boyband RPS - because let's face it, you mustn't shouldn't just make up stuff about real people - but in Zeppelin's case the RPS stuff pretty much writes itself. Why ever did two of the best looking people in the world ever bother with groupies when they could have had each other? Laziness, I guess.

If you want a less hormonal and more considered opinion on blues lyrics and misogyny, pick up a copy of Greil Marcus' Mystery Train. The section on Robert Johnson is a masterpiece. At one point he quotes Johnson's line, "If I had possession over judgment day, the woman I've been loving wouldn't have no right to pray," and it evokes almost a splutter of indignation; but this being Greil Marcus, it is more articulate than that. I enjoyed the hell out of that chapter. (Oops.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.