Monday, August 27, 2007

Golders Green Crematorium

On the way down from Duxford, I stopped in at Golders Green Crematorium to pay my respects to a couple of people there who paid a big part in my life when I was growing up.

Marc Bolan is there – and the crematorium people are preparing for an influx next month, on the 30th anniversary of his death. I visited his rose bush with its little marker that's made out for Sidney, Phyllis and Mark Feld. The groundskeeper told me that the bush never flowers in September, so I suppose the 500 or so people who will visit for the anniversary will be out of luck. His plaques are next to Keith Moon's and Ronnie Scott's and a host of other musicians', so I imagine it's not a quiet place during gigging hours.

Paul Kossoff's plaque is in the summer house with his parents David's and Jennie's. It's an altogether more peaceful end of Golders Green and perhaps he prefers it that way.

It was raining – of course. The grounds are too wet at the moment, but they are still beautiful and serene. The groundskeeper said that during normal summers he has to roust couples out of the foliage at closing time. Cue a quiet (wouldn't want it to be rousing) chorus of On Ilkley Moor Bah't 'At. Life does go on.

1 comment:

Mz Maihem said...

Oh My Gosh...Marc is my Guardian Angel. You lucky woman! A watercolour of him that my friend painted for me hangs above my computer desk and brings me calm. We speak daily.
My other Watcher is Eric Carr, former KISS drummer and eternal sweetheart.
With much love,
MzMaihem (Felice)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.