Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Commonly Confused Words Test

Your result for The Commonly Confused Words Test...

English Genius

You scored 93% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 100% Expert!


You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!


For the complete Answer Key, visit my blog: http://shortredhead78.blogspot.com/.

Take The Commonly Confused Words Test at HelloQuizzy



That's all very well, but it appears I missed at least one question at the basic level. That's pretty typical for me - I probably mixed up a "their/there" and yet got all the "complement/compliment" type questions right.

Edit: The Journal entry I stole this from has a bunch of comments after it which I didn't read until after I posted the above. They are almost all from leftie PC types moaning about how terrible prescriptivism is and aren't we all just beyond that now?

Well, yes... or no... but anyway, a quiz that said: "Hanged or hung, what's the diff? Whom or who? Whom cares? Hearty appetite or hardy appetite? WTF is that question about?" might be an interesting conversation starter, but would be a rotten quiz. Please just assume that the quiz is by a prescriptivist, and proceed or possibly precede accordingly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Accusing a grammar teacher of prescriptivism seems a very American response. Can affirmative action positively discriminate in favour of colons? If the numbers on a candidate's maths paper fail to add up, can Creationists intervene on their behalf?

Malia said...

Hmph. I am 'advanced.' Scored 100% in levels other than expert in which I scored 73%. As a sop, I am told this is an excellent score.
Bah humbug. Still a fan of prescriptivism, shudder to think of what would be inflicted on me without it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.