Thursday, October 30, 2008

Dumbo Octopus

Grimpoteuthis, the Dumbo Octopus. Isn't he cute?




They swim, like Dumbo, by flapping their ears. Or whatever those things are.

Or whatever it was Dumbo did. (I saw the movie when I was four. I realize it was seminal but I'm not that sure on the plot.)



Update 12/2013: A new picture of an even cuter Dumbo Octopus here.

Update 5/2014: A rather more frightening look at a Dumbo Octopus here.
Update 9/2014 a lovely video here.
A new sighting here.
Update Oct 12 2014: A new video here.

3 comments:

Steve Sauer said...

That so looks like Pikachu!

Steve Sauer said...

I'm such a flippin' genius: http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/brainiac/2007/05/pikachu_vs_grim.html

Lyle Hopwood said...

Wow, you've discovered a whole Grimpoteuthis/Pikachu subculture! I'm behind the curve!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.