Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Thrill of the chase

I spent most of yesterday evening chasing a Dead Weather video. It appeared online in the morning and was immediately taken down by Warner Bros. But video files are virtual and a copy went up elsewhere. I missed that too, missed the next one and eventually found it at fuckyeahalisonmosshart, home to many good things. They got the takedown notice eventually too. It's currently available on antiquiet, here. It will probably be gone by the time you read this, but it'll be back somewhere shortly.

Die by the Drop is a great song; I love it. It suggests good things about the new album, Sea of Cowards, due in May. It's taking me a bit longer to like the video, which has the production values of Ed Wood, minus the rubber octopus (despite being directed by Floria Sigismondi, of The Runaways fame). Everyone looks evil and sinister in it, which is cool, and Alison digs a grave with her bare hands, which is even cooler, and everybody is incredibly clean and well-behaved in that lovely American way. (It looks like they shower between every take and get new clothes as fast as tennis players get new balls.) I will work on willfully suspending my disbelief, because, friends, of course I saved the video. It was great fun chasing it down but I'm not going to spend all of tonight on it as well.



Alison and Jack look amazing in it, but due to time constraints (late for work again!) we have to make do with a screensnap of Dean and LJ. The latter appears to have grown a beard, which really doesn't work in real life, but looks suitably sinister in the video. Dean is a rock god. Oops, that just slipped out.

5 comments:

KaliDurga said...

So much excitement in the last few days! Jack's certainly had us on the edges of our seats, hasn't he?

I love the idea of this video, the whole voodoo feel that ties in so well with JW's love of the south and dirty blues, but I agree that overall it's a tad weak. There's just a bit too much going on (the helmets and that weird moon thing could easily have been left out). No matter, I'll take the individual visual moments that I enjoy and overlook the rest.

Way too many days left until this album drops...

Lyle Hopwood said...

The video's growing on me - by the drop. Now that we know Jack reads his own press, maybe I'd better go back and edit the post to say that!

The sticking point was the cleanliness. If they were going to scare me, I'd expect those figures to have a certain amount of grime, sweat and blood (preferably their own, after some arcane ceremony) on their work clothes after a hard day's grave robbing and voodoo priesthooding. But I watched it again and got over it. I'll work on getting over the distracting lower edge of the mirror and the moon thing next time.

And the song rocks...I'm going to like this album. How long before that leaks too? No, I shouldn't even think that. Jack will read my thoughts and be angry with me.

KaliDurga said...

I'm happy to wait (impatiently) for the rest of the album now, though I would love to see the video again. There's one particular segment that... Well, you don't want to know what it does to me ;) I need to learn how to make gifs by the time this thing is released officially.

Good point about the dirt or lack thereof. Especially considering how grimy Alison looks in some of the Kills videos I watched the other day, she certainly doesn't seem to have an issue with that. Does Sigismondi perhaps have an aversion to unclean things?

Lyle Hopwood said...

Easy GIF animator. It's easy. I don't think it was free, though.

Here's Alison spitting at Jack like an angry rattlesnake. Or something. Hard to tell with this director.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb193/Peromyscus/dbtd.gif

Lyle Hopwood said...

Let's try that GIF with a tinyurl.

http://tinyurl.com/yh5gx9b

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.