Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Happy Star Wars Day!

May the Fourth Be With You.

The Dead Weather at Third Man Records: It was great. Ben was, shall I say, vehement that we shouldn't take photos, so you won't see any of them from an identifiable person. The sound was recorded for a black and blue vinyl, which we all dutifully signed up for afterwards. I don't remember any specifics and of course I couldn't see the MySpace feed as I hadn't brought any digital devices into Third Man in case it got me kicked out. And I didn't take any analog notes as I was busy enjoying myself.

They played Sea of Cowards and blew me away. I'm an old hand and I've heard some good live stuff, but this had everything - the tunes, the passion, the energy, the performance. Jack's first comment was 'Welcome to my house,' and I really did feel I was at his house. The band gave everything they had.

They did a three song encore, with Jack rapping extensively from the drum stool during TMLYM. They were all smiles, everybody happy. I'm really hoping they'll be bonus tracks on the vinyl. Afterwards, we went out for a meal with multiple Vault/LR members and enjoyed real southern food. And then I came back to my hotel room and watched it again on YouTube. I am, as Jonathan Richman memorably said, in love with the modern world. And I'm equally in love with Jack White, to whom many thanks.

We aslo got to meet Jack's new guitar Veronica. She's lovely.

MySpace feed was captured by Kurt655 and is on YouTube here and I'll get a better source for that later and post it, if I survive today's air travel back home.

Edit: the original source is still here. Right click and save as to download.

1 comment:

Bruv said...

Hi Sis

Just to let you know the TDW new album Sea of Cowards bombed in the Gwardian Film and Music Review today, only getting 2 stars out of 5.

Bruv

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.