Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Happy 40th, Glam Rock! My 1972 Diary, August



August 3rd.
Bought music papers. Hadn't got Melody Maker.

[I bought ALL the music papers? Blimey. I guess I demanded the balanced view. The weeklies were Sounds, NME and Melody Maker. I think Disc was still going but no one bought it unless it had a special in it.]

August 10th
Bought music papers.

[OK, I guess I did buy them all each week.]

August 11th.
Bought Killer. Alright.

[Maybe Alice Cooper was wearing off. My dad hated the record, but mainly because of the snake on the cover. I hid the cover. I never played it for him. I mean, Dead Babies. ]


August 14th.
New joke – Mummy, mummy, I hate daddy's guts. – Well dear, put them to the side of your plate and eat your vegetables.

[These were a fad. I remember a handful. For instance – Mummy, mummy, why am I going around in circles?  –  Shut up or I'll nail your other foot to the floor.  Mummy, mummy, can I play with grandma? – No dear, you've dug her up twice this week already.]

August 18th.
Roxy Music in charts. Schools Out very high in charts.

[Due to the sort of incompetent marketing I thought only Brits were capable of, Schools Out was released in England as a single AFTER the start of the summer holidays. It doesn't seem to have hurt its chart places, but I think we would all have enjoyed it more if it had given us something to look forward to. Since I read ALL THE MUSIC PAPERS I, of course, knew about it much earlier.]

August 23rd.
Joke: What do you say when you see an elephant on the table?  - Shout, "Look! An elephant!"

1 comment:

Achilles said...

Thanks for the reminder.

Fond memories of a holiday to England in the summer of 1972. I was 9 years old but remember 'Top of the Pops' on TV and 'School's Out for Summer'!

Cheers,

Chris

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.