Thursday, August 23, 2012

Icky Homo

Heard on BBC World Service today:

For some reason, an elderly parishioner took it upon herself to restore an old fresco of Jesus Christ on the wall of her church, the Sanctuary of Mercy, near Zaragoza. The picture, Ecce Homo, by Elias Garcia Martinez, is no great shakes as far as I'm concerned. But when it began to peel from water damage,  she loved it enough to try to preserve it by painting over it.


Detail of fresco.


I have to say I quite like the finished product. However, apparently the powers that be (so to speak) don't think much of it and are interviewing her to find out what she did, with a view to undoing it, if at all possible.

Another take on this with a different photo.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.