Sunday, August 19, 2012

Sentient life on Planet Earth? Some of the apes might qualify.

Here's a video that brings out the sads for a couple of reasons. A chimpanzee uses clear sign language to tell visiting humans that he/she wants the cookie on the ground on their side of the glass.  The human (who is of my tribe, a northerner, I'm ashamed to say)  is completely incapable of figuring out what it wants, and provides a wittering narrative about escape, made up, presumably, inside his own head. Chimp gets no cookie, and we have to shake our heads at the behavior of our putatively closer relatives.



The YouTube video has comments disabled so it's hard to say how many of those 1.7 million viewers would have written "'E wants the biscuit, yer daft bugger!" in the human's own dialect.

via Skepchick, whose commenters provide some poignant, er, commentary.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.