Friday, May 03, 2013

From around the web

An occasional series.

I know the Dow Jones has been crazy all year, but I didn't know it was this crazy. (The graphic is usually an easily read trend chart.)




I went to the Chicago Sun-Times to read an article on the increase in middle age suicides, and this is what it looked like.



The article begins:

The suicide rate among middle-aged Americans climbed a startling 28 percent in a decade, a period that included the recession and the mortgage crisis, the government reported Thursday. The trend was most pronounced among white men and women in that age group. Their suicide rate jumped 40 percent between 1999 and 2010. 

 But much more scarily, the picture is of the Terminator and the caption reads:

Machines such as the ones seen in the movie "Terminator Salvation" could one day make humanity wish they'd never crawled out of the primordial goo. 

 What?! No wonder the suicide rate is peaking! Is there no hope?   (Bored sub editor, maybe?)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.