Wednesday, February 05, 2020

Womble Anniversary

The Wombles are 47 years old today. The show featured the stories of large rodent-like creatures as they recycled and upcycled people's trash on Wimbledon Common. I do, of course, still sing the song whenever someone mentions a trigger word or phrase (like Wimbledon, Tobermory, Wellington or "common are we").



The BBC has a bit of their history here

It doesn't mention the most fascinating fact, which is that Chris Spedding, early Sex Pistols adopter, was the Womble with the Gibson Flying V. 

I do remember reading some urban fantasy book about London which featured a parody of the Wombles as thuggish, working class, bad guy-adjacent gangsters. I cannot imagine how anyone could get such a hate-on for the Wombles, who were at their uttermost merely harmless, and generally speaking positive. They taught us to recycle in 1973, for example. Forty seven years later it's a lesson worth repeating.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.