Friday, September 05, 2008

Internet Rumor Mills

The internet rumor mill has ceased to amaze me, but it's still entertaining. I first talked about it here, discussing how a badly worded article could end up fuelling insane speculation.

Here's a more deliberate evolution.

Contact Music had an article today (4th) about Jimmy Page and the Olympics. It's entitled Led Zeppelin - Page Defends Olympic Performance.

It says,

He says, "We got so much criticism and I really don't know why. I think we did a great job - it was an honour to be there. People just need to be less cynical. You know we went out there, we only had ten minutes - what did people expect?"
But Page is adamant that the experience has not put him off performing at the Olympics and admits he would love to be a part of the forthcoming 2012 games in London.
He adds, "If they asked, it would be an honour."


The NME ran a story as well. It's called Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page to play at London 2012 Olympics? See the difference there?

It says,

Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page has said he would be "honoured" to be asked to perform at the London 2012 Olympic Games.

The guitarist told The Independent that he hadn't been asked about appearing yet, but strongly hinted that he would accept if offered the gig.

"I don't know about that [performing in 2012] yet," he said. "If they asked, it would be an honour."


The ever reliable Gigwise put it this way in today's story. Led Zeppelin To Reform At 2012 Olympics? Mmmm! That's better! The 'R' word!

It says,

Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page has said he would be honoured to perform at the 2012 London Olympics – fuelling speculation that the full band may reform for the event.

Then, when asked if he would play at the London games, he replied: “If they asked, it would be an honour”.

Talk of further reunion shows has been constant since Led Zeppelin played a one off concert at the O2 Arena in London last December.


All of these are from the same few words of Page's. I like the question mark at the end of the headlines. No one's lying; they're just 'speculating', as Gigwise says. At the end of the day, they have to sell papers. Except they don't, because they are online outlets, but you know what I mean.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.