Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Wyoming Road Trip Day 8: Leaving Colorado for Utah


August 23rd


(c) Google

Since we were finally plugged in, we had an operable microwave oven. We had leftover biryani for breakfast, heated to perfection. It was time to take on the day’s driving, going on the I-70 west through Fruita, into Utah and then south on the 191. STB used to work in Utah and I don’t think he liked it much – he’d sworn not to go to Utah again. But this was only a little bit Utah, right on the border, and we’d soon be south of the Arizona border again.

Going in to Utah, it looks pretty much like everywhere else – flat and full of sage.

Entering Utah


Utah quickly gets weird, though. The plains disappear, the desert starts and the rocks develop a psychedelic aspect.

Leaving Colorful Colorado

Entering Utah


Plains gone

Getting weird


The sage is still trying its best though

One consistency - trains are everywhere in the US

Papa Joe's Stop and Go

Blue Hills Road has major scenery


We were not going to be able to go to some of the more far-out parts of Utah, but we would be passing right by Arches National Monument on the 191. I demanded a visit.

Arches Brochure




Day 11 Phoenix to OC


2 comments:

TD said...

This part gave me major flashbacks to my route 50 road-trip. Utah really is like an alien planet.

Lyle Hopwood said...

It is. The scenery looks like something the Mars Rover found.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.