Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Society for Information Display, Los Angeles


Spending the week in LA, at SID (Society for Information Display), probably one of the few places where on eavesdropping the conversation at Starbucks, I would hear someone say of something he'd seen there, "It was pretty close...within 0.004 millimeters."
Here are some photos of the pretty part of town, i.e. not where the convention center is. The convention center is in Dossville, USA. I was surprised this morning at quite how many streams of urine emanated from doorways where people had evidently slept. I would have thought they'd try to keep the two activities separate. 



The third picture, the odd tunnel, is the 3rd Street tunnel, which has quite a history that I would have to recount some other time, but suffice to say it's a tunnel through the hill at 3rd street.
At first I walked up the hill (behind your back in the photo) and was prepared to walk down 3rd Street to the tunnel, but when I got to the bottom of the hill, there was no crossing. There was only a pedestrian subway of such Stygian aspect and such malodor that I literally did not dare go in. I walked back up the hill, up to 4th Street, down and back along to 3rd. When I got to the crossing there a homeless vet sprang out and pressed the crossing signal button for me and for a few seconds I was terrified that he was Charon, and therefore didn't give him any money. I walked to the middle of the street I got close enough to take the picture and got out of there, without Eurydice or indeed anyone else, following me. Charon had moved on, and so missed out on his payment.

3 comments:

KaliDurga said...

What's the ziggurat-ish place in the second photo?

Lyle Hopwood said...

Los Angeles Public Library.

KaliDurga said...

Very nifty.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.