Monday, July 23, 2018

Koningrooibekkie in SJC

Found this bird scratching around the bird feeder last week. It showed up at dawn for two or three days. It's like a tiny magpie.  Sorry about the photo quality but it's also very shy.


Peromyscus friend Carroll managed to ID it. It's a pintailed whydah, an African bird known as a Koningrooibekkie in its native land. Apparently they've been seen in Orange County for at least the last five years and are probably breeding in the wild.  There is a concern that this species may be laying its eggs in finch nests, to parasitize the hapless parents as cuckoos and cowbirds do. This one didn't seem to be 'with' anyone, finch or female whydah, but I'll keep an eye out.

Here's a professional photograph she found. (I don't know who took it but will credit or take it down as requested, if the photographer lets me know.)

What spectacular tails they have!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.