Sunday, August 05, 2018

Video tour of Tower House, with Jimmy Page


Channel 4 has screened a wonderful tour of the epic Tower House, Jimmy Page's home since 1972, designed by William Burges as a showcase of his architectural and decorative talents.

Jimmy points out a crack in the plaster



London is currently undergoing an epidemic of basement-building, or "undergrounding", as rich people with limited property sizes and listed facades dig deep under their houses in order to expand. Page's neighbor Robbie Williams is digging such a basement and the vibration and possible soil movement is threatening to damage Tower House. The neighbor on the other side is also having soil work done. Page is a very private man and I'm positive he wouldn't invite cameras in otherwise, but this is the third or fourth piece I've seen on his attempt to stop the possibly damaging "improvements" going on around him.



For us it's a rare opportunity to see this intricate and ornate castle-sized artwork. It's disheartening that we might be seeing it for the first and last time if the threats materialize. I can't imagine what it's like to live here. Page must not be able to smoke, or cook or do anything that will damage the more than a century old paint. I know he can't play music there, as the vibrations can crack the mouldings and carvings.



I can't embed the video, but it can be played on Channel 4's website, here and is definitely worth the click.

3 comments:

Queentammiefer said...

It was wondering if I could use this write-up on my other website, I will link it back to your website though.Great Thanks.Unterkunft Frankfurt-Oder

Lyle Hopwood said...

Of course you can, Queentammiefer. Let me know the link.

Unknown said...

Love JP and thrilled to see a little of Tower House. Glad he is protecting it, but of course he is a lone voice! C'mon Jimmy, no cakeism! Smart of you to let us in just a bit so we see why we should care. Please donate the house when you're done so we might all have a chance to marvel.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.