Monday, October 08, 2018

SpaceX SAOCOM 1A launch 10/07/18

(Image heavy post)

On Sunday, October 7 at 7:21 p.m.Pacific time, SpaceX launched the SAOCOM 1A satellite from Space Launch Complex 4E at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. The rocket flew out over the ocean as it gained height. The satellite was deployed about 12 minutes after liftoff.

The first stage separated from the rocket and landed at SpaceX's Landing Zone 4, also at Vandenberg. It was the first landing on solid ground on the West Coast.

Vandenberg AFB is about 200 miles north west of me in San Juan Capistrano so I wasn't able to hear the liftoff or the sonic booms as the returning stage came in for a landing. I did get a very clear view of the rocket as soon as it lifted clear of the low clouds on the coast. 

I used a cellphone camera. 


Oops. Had the flash on.
























Oops. Still had the flash on.






I think the bright planet (in the clear sky above the palm tree and slightly to the left)
is Jupiter. Jupiter, Venus and Mercury were all in pretty much the same
 direction last night but I think Mercury and maybe Venus would have set by then. 










No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.