Tuesday, March 27, 2007

LSD

I still miss my fave poster Alquit and his trove of grooves. But there's still gems on YouTube.
Here's The Pretty Things on a Swedish show in 1966, singing "LSD".
(No relation to the Deviants' "Takin' LSD". )



LSD: For any whippersnappers out there, in 1966 English money was known as Pounds, Shillings and Pence. Shillings are easy to abbreviate. They get an S. Pounds, from Libra, the Latin for 'pound', were abbreviated L. And pence, from the little Roman coins 'denarii', were abbreviated D. So there you go. And the Beatles' Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was about a kid's drawing.
I think - I haven't looked into this too closely – that the Deviants' song was about drugs.

Don't the Pretty Things look pretty in this? I seem to remember they were considered famously ugly – worse than the Stones, even – but Phil's looking hot in this one.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.