Saturday, May 30, 2015

Big Boys Don’t Cry by Tom Kr*tman (Castalia House)

Big Boys Don’t Cry by Tom Kr*tman (Castalia House) SPRP



The rest of the conversation, such as was left after the battle, is here

Well, alright then, Mr. Tim "Don't throw me into the briar patch, Brer Fox!" Kratperoffspring. No award it is.  

This is a Sad Puppy and Rabid Puppy nomination.

It is an okay story about the basic training of AIs used in combat. The methods used are cruel, but the humans don't care. They wall off the AI's memories of pain and injury after training is complete, but in the case of Maggie, severe damage during combat allows her (she's a she) to recall the training sessions. All the while she is accessing her memories, she is being investigated for scrap value, and she can see and hear the humans discussing her fate.

It's not a very new concept, but it's handled well. It's just so very long. It's interesting to compare this with Steve Rzasa's story, Turncoat, as the AI warships come to very different conclusions about humans.

Edited for length, 05/31

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.