Sunday, December 23, 2007

Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer died five years ago. It's hard to believe that someone who provided the soundtrack to my twenties is dead, though it happens to us all eventually. London Calling was probably the most played album on my friends' turntables for years - occasionally even a Deep Hippy friend would take off Caravan or Matching Mole and put on I'm All Lost in the Supermarket or Rudie Can't fail.

I tried to see The Clash several times. I was at Victoria Park for the Rock Against Racism Gig, and I have a vaguer memory of my view being blocked by large, leather-jacketed men a couple of years older than me at an indoor gig somewhere. At least two other attempts didn't work because The Clash canceled. All in all I felt safer listening to them at home.

We used to have quite a lot of conversations like the one which begins this clip.


And this is what they sounded like.



RIP, Joe.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.