Saturday, June 12, 2010

Forever My Queen

Queen Elizabeth the second, QEII, has been a steady figure in the background of my life. The Sex Pistols famously deconstructed her in God Save the Queen - and that was in 1977, thirty plus years ago. She's still there. And that's good, because she's a clever and level-headed individual but her son and heir is an idiot.

He blames Galileo for the ills of the world.


The Prince of Wales has blamed a lack of belief in the soul for the world’s environmental problems, and said that the planet cannot sustain a population expected to reach 9 billion in 40 years.

He said he found it “baffling” that so many scientists professed a faith in God yet this had little bearing on the “damaging” way science was used to exploit the natural world.

The Prince pinned part of the blame on Galileo. Criticising the profit imperative behind much scientific research, he said: “This imbalance, where mechanistic thinking is so predominant, goes back at least to Galileo’s assertion that there is nothing in nature but quantity and motion.

“This is the view that continues to frame the general perception of the way the world works, and how we fit within the scheme of things.
(From the Timesonline article.)

The scientists, generally speaking, aren't the ones making the profits.

The phrase cui bono? comes to mind, as it often does. Hopefully the Queen, whose job over the years has been dismantling the British Empire in the most efficient and peaceful manner she can (and she's done a fairly good job, considering) will have the fortitude to hang on until Idiot Son gives up the ghost and someone who doesn't talk to plants can succeed her.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Probably old news, but there's more vinyl from Nashville.

Lyle Hopwood said...

Thanks. I'm keeping up with the Third Man news - I'm just not summoning up the energy to post about it. I got a Karen Elson peach album too...and I'm waiting for my Sea of Cowards live black and blue!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.