Friday, August 20, 2010

FDA says a life of excruciating pain is okay


From Medpage Today
:


"A number of members on the Arthritis Advisory Committee and the Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory Committees felt the potential for widespread abuse of the "date rape" drug was too great to warrant expanding the indication to a condition that affects an estimated 2% of the U.S. population."
"Should we be giving LSD to people because it improves their psychotherapy? Should we give marijuana to people because it improves their well-being?" Kostan said. "What are we thinking?!"

Maybe we're thinking that improved well-being and mental health is nice, but that's not the point here. The point is that fibromyalgia hurts like hell and people who have it get no sleep or rest for months on end. If a knock-out drop puts their lives back on course, as one study participant says, what sort of animal would deny it to them?

Nice interrobang at the end of the quote, though.

1 comment:

KaliDurga said...

Considering that there are other concerns besides the potential for abuse, it sounds as if they need to do further work on this anyway before attempting to get it on the market.

My mother has fybromyalgia. I'll have to ask her what she thinks of this.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.