Thursday, April 26, 2007

Performance: A non-review part 2

There's two stories to Performance; what goes on on-screen, and the story of what went on offscreen. Offscreen, the star, James Fox, was so shaken by the role that this famous leading man of the sixties did not act in a film again for a decade. Mick Jagger seduced Keith Richard's stunningly beautiful girlfriend, Anita Pallenberg, live on the set, jeopardizing his lifelong friendship and the future of the Rolling Stones. Ry Cooder, playing guitar on the soundtrack, got into some sort of bad headspace regarding Keith Richards and attempted riff-stealing. The film itself was shelved for two years after a massive studio argument over the editing. But I'm not going to talk about all that. You can find yards of text on the subject on the web if you like. I'll talk about what's on screen.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.