Sunday, July 06, 2008

Peanut Envy

I requested a cup of peanut-butter and chocolate ice-cream from BaskinRobins, and my friend went to get it for me.

"It doesn't have peanuts on top," I said when it came back.

"No," said my friend, "They don't have peanuts any longer because 'people have allergies to peanuts'."

"Oh," I said, poking at the ice-cream with a plastic spoon, "isn't this peanut-butter and chocolate ice-cream?"

"Yes, it is," he said.

"Did you point that out to them?"

"No, by then we were already well into the does-not-compute part of the conversation."

I have yet to pluck up courage to ask how weird the first part of the conversation was.

It can be tough, as a Brit, attempting to buy common food items in Southern California. Fraught with dangers. Sometimes I think the life of a muskrat trapper in British Columbia must have been easier. At least it was more logical.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There comes a time in a young man's life, when he must put aside the trappings of childhood and venture out, into the wide world, in search of beaver.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.