Friday, January 23, 2009

Scatological Friday

The New York Times has an article about British place-names. They're often from dialects or languages no longer spoken, and in modern speech sound kinda rude. The NYT gets a giggle out of it.

No Snickering: That Road Sign Means Something Else




Growing up in northern England, I found places like Penistone and Wetwang to be perfectly normal.

The NYT don't mention that the U.S., which doesn't have the excuse of obsolete words in its place names, has a few of its own. Pennsylvania alone has Beaverdale, Bird-in-Hand, Blue Ball, Intercourse and Stalker.

Also, in the Fisting the Night Away stakes, we have Fox News explaining what Barack Obama and the First Lady get up to when they're alone.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.