Thursday, November 15, 2012

Green Dreams Sleep Furiously - Alison Mosshart tracks from Sons of Anarchy

Alison Mosshart tackles Iggy Pop's The Passenger, one of my favorite rekkids.  It's from the soundtrack to Sons of Anarchy, a TV program of some renown, although I don't know why it is of some renown as I don't have TV. She's backed by the Forest Rangers, whoever they are.

You can tell I follow all of this stuff very closely. You read it here first, folks.



STB and I have a friend who once said, "I used to love The Passenger, but then I found out it was about some guy who's a passenger."

It's one of the more profound things ever said. The same guy once,  in a discussion about computers' ability to understand natural language, was introduced to the concept that computers struggle with, where a human can immediately understand, two sentences like "time flies like an arrow" and "fruit flies like a banana". He contemplated this concept for a moment and said, "But...fruit DOES fly like a banana".  I don't believe he's ever taken any psychedelic drugs, he just naturally thinks like that.

Here is another Alison Mosshart song from the soundtrack with the Forest Rangers - Blind Ride. It took me a little while to learn to like this one, particularly as pedal steel guitars are like nails on a chalkboard to me. I'm sure everyone else thinks they are beautiful and haunting.



(Thanks to uploader Alisongardnersg)

Probably everyone remembers this one from last year with the same crew, same TV show - a cover of the sublime What a Wonderful World. Not a pedal steel in earshot.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.