Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Nine Dioptres (short story) now available for Kindle readers


A family stand on a river bank of poppies, and look at London on the opposite bank
Art by Emma Howitt for IZ Digital "Nine Dioptres".

Gareth Jelley of IZ Digital has kindly made available an EPUB version of Nine Dioptres for those of us who prefer to read on our Kindle.  To download the file, click the green button below. 


For people without Kindles, or who prefer not to press strange buttons on the internet, the story is also available to read at IZ Digital's website at the link below.  

Nine Dioptres

‘I can’t see that far,’ said Aminah, and bit her lip. Why admit that to the stranger? Suddenly overcome with self-pity, tears came to her eyes. Nuada waited until the black-robed figure was ready.

When Aminah spoke, it was with a sob: ‘I’m going blind, Nuada. Every day I see less and less!’

Nuada led her below. ‘Wait here. I can help you,’ she said, and got her bag. She took out her left eye and fitted a microeye into the socket. She peered into Aminah’s eyes, one after the other. Then she sat back, calculating something. ‘You aren’t going blind. It’s just myopia, which is easily corrected with lenses.’

‘I couldn’t wear a machine on my face,’ wailed Aminah.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.