Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Good day, Sunstein redux

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about Cass Sunstein's theory that Conspiracy Theorists (you'll know them when you see them) should be infiltrated by the government and shut down.

The Huffington Post writes in on the subject.

It posits a government that is basically benign and it takes it as a given that the truth is knowable -- that some theories are objectively "wrong." It presumes that it's possible to distinguish between relatively innocuous conspiracy theories that can be safely ignored (Santa Claus or Roswell Space aliens) and more inimical ones that aren't (that the US government deliberately murdered 300 innocents on 9/11/2001 or used "tectonic weaponry" to further its imperialistic aims in Haiti).


Huffpo feels the idea is likely to backfire.

When I consider its costs and benefits, I foresee scant likelihood that "cognitive infiltration" will win over any hearts and minds for Obama's or anyone else's administration -- and an overwhelming probability (just Google "Sunstein" and "Conspiracy Theory" if you don't believe me!) that it will undermine not just its ideals but its own best interests.


It's a bit calmer than my own ideas, but okay.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.