Sunday, October 15, 2023

Why blog? It's essential for writers!


Peromyscus

This is a blog. At one time, anybody who wanted to write had a blog. 

In the mid-nineties, search engines heaved into view. If someone wrote a blockbuster piece on their Page on the World Wide Web, no one except their mom would be able to find it. Some people who were terminally online, for nineties values of terminally online, would visit their favorite pages and write about them on their own page. The search engines, on learning that someone had linked to a webpage, would be more likely to index that page and show it to others. (Search engines ranking sites by the number of links to them is still a thing thirty years on.)

These early online people were logging the web, web-logging. Blogging. My blog, which started in 2006, was also a place where I could write about music, art and news. I could express myself to my full capability.

Blogs can help writers in many ways

They can serve as a base camp, establishing personal credibility and stability, as well as demonstrating expertise in your craft. Publishers can see your passion and commitment to your cause or genre. A long-term, regularly updated web presence gathers more search engine credit and ranks higher in searches. 

A blog is also platform for advertising your pieces. Publishers rarely pay for press junkets or book tours these days, and so the burden of raising public awareness of your writing falls on you. There are not many places where you can just say, “Hey, I got a story published. Here’s the link! Hope you like it!” I mean, try it sometime. If you do it on someone else’s Facebook, or do it too often on your own, you’ll get unfriended. To build an audience, you need regularity as well as quality of output.  And pieces on blogs keep your name in the readers’ minds between published articles.

As I became more interested in writing fiction, I let the blog languish. I took a class from Bob Cohen and I’m following it up with a college class on non-fiction writing helmed by Scott Hays, both at Saddleback.  I’m working my way back to regularity – updating at least once a week.

A daily writing discipline is healthy practice for a writer, as well.

What’s my audience? My blog gets about 27K views a month. That’s tiny, given that most of the views will be people who clicked on a Google result, realized it wasn’t for them and clicked away immediately. That’s why I’m taking the class right now!

Finding Blog subject matter

What should you write about? Writing is writing. If the plot twist in your latest story or research on your article has you banging your head against the wall, close the document, open Blogger or Medium or Substack or Wordpress and write a couple of hundred words about your garden, your motorcycle engine rebuild or if all else fails, what your cats did today.

There! Blogging done, writing practiced, and head cleared, all in one sitting.

Taking notes

A blog can also serve as a notebook. You’re in Starbucks and a couple opposite is arguing? Write a character study. Sunset is fantastic today? Describe it. Incredible writer M John Harrison does this on his microblogging site.

Writing “story behind the story”

As well as publicizing stories and articles as they are published, your blog can support the work you have out in the wild. I recently wrote a short horror story about a plant biologist on the Welsh coast encountering ghosts of Vikings. It drew on a trip I took to that area to study seaweed. When the story is published, I’ll follow up with a blog post about my long-ago trip. Seaweed’s really interesting!

What do I write about? Here’s the frequency listing for the labels on the posts.

Word frequency listing for Peromyscus blog (same as sidebar)

So go start your own blog!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.