Sunday, September 30, 2007

Zinc of Finches

We hide behind the masks of the Orient, because the sullen lumbering shapes of the western world strike fear and terror into our limbs, and all is ungrown. Legends we long for and legends there are in the east of our heads. So perchance Gods dwell unseen in the east of the world.

- Marc Bolan, Warlock of Love


September 30th, 2007 is Marc Bolan's 60th birthday.




















Look how small he was; the white Strat dwarfs him. One of the finest rhythm guitarists ever. Chuck Berry's nose for a hook. Lyrics from beyond the Seas of Abyssinia. A stud, a lamb, the thoughts of a tiger. Leaps like a cat. Keep on boppin', Marc!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

I also never told you that I saw Marc playing in Bradford, can't remember when must have been mid 60's, I think I was doing my ONC at the Tech and he was playing at the the Town Hall(?), but something keeps nagging me that it was a building at the bottom of road that the bus came in from Batley. I am sure that you will be able to come up with a date. The thing I remember most was when he sat with an acoustic guitar at the front of the stage and just played and sung for 30 minutes in the middle of the set. The building, wherever it was, was next to the hotel that the Stones stayed in when I saw them in Bradford.

Bruv

Lyle Hopwood said...

You wouldn't happen to have a tape recording, would you?

You're still a bundle of surprises and I've known you for 49 years. One of these days we must sit down and have a nice long talk.

I saw T. Rex in 1972 but that was a very different era.

Anonymous said...

No I don't have a tape of that one, I taped all sorts of things on my little Phillips cassette deck, including Genesis at Sheffield Town Hall (with Peter Gabriel)and his fox head outfit, but I don't know where that is either. Did you work out when it was that T Rex played in Bradford as for the life of me I can't remember who the other group was that was on at the same time.

Bruv

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.