Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Ants in my bioactive vivarium

 

Green and red day gecko on a bamboo log with plants in the background
Mrs. F being miserable in her temporary cage


Does anyone know any good ways to get rid of ants in a bioactive vivarium?

The vivarium is on a cart whose wheels are treated so that ants can't climb up them. There's a tablecloth velcroed around the cart to hide its utilitarian nature. A couple of nights ago, when the cart was on concrete, a blade of grass from the flower planter was long enough to touch the fabric. By morning the ants had made that tiny bridge into a thoroughfare and moved in. The ants are the ones with multiple queens that can set up a nest with just a few migrants. Obviously I've relocated the geckerino, trimmed the veg, and evicted the vast majority of ants but there are a few still in there.

Will Neem Oil work? So far it's lived up to its hype of killing every single thing I don't like while not harming a hair on the head (or leaf) of anything I actually cherish but I would not be at all surprised if that didn't hold for geckos.

My experience of ant baits and ant hotels has been that ants see them a mile off and never visit. But spray chemicals are spray chemicals. 

Mrs. F is a day gecko who eats baby foo and crested gecko food so I don't have to introduce crickets after treatment for weeks, or even months. 

But what kills ants?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.