Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Octopuses - new facts to impress your friends!

From Oceangal, news of a fascinating Octopus discovery.

Octopus

According to a report in the Daily Telegraph, based on research at Sea Life centers across Europe, octopuses don't have eight legs. They have two legs and six arms. Researchers looking into whether octopuses were right-handed or left-handed found that they were ambidextrously third-from-the-front handed, and that two of their hands are legs, anyway.

This means that when another smart-alec friend says to you, "Man -the featherless biped!" you can reply, "No - octopus the featherless biped!" And then you can argue about the plural. (It's bipodes.[1])

[1] Only kidding. It's bipeds.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.