Sunday, September 13, 2009

Get off my lawn

We went to the local all-you-can-stuff-down-your-neck sushi place this weekend. The food's good...if you slow down enough to taste it - but the music does tend to suck. They play a Sirius radio channel which is entirely Auto-Tune.
I don't know how it's programmed. There's a lot of catastrophically bad R&B in there, all auto-tuned into a slippy, slidey mess like a vocal Mazola party, but there's also a lot of that 'rock' that sounds like it was thought up by committee, all with the same vocal treatments. It's almost as though Sirius used a computerized detection system of some sort, and filtered tracks into its playlist purely based on the characteristics.

Anyway, on the way out I mentioned this to the man manning the cash register, and he sympathized a bit. "All of the songs nowadays have it," he said, looking agreeable and tutting slightly under his breath.

When we got outside STB said, "Did you realize he was looking at you with that old-people-don't-understand-our-generation's-music look?"

Well, no I hadn't, as it happens. But geesh, youth of today, are you really asking for Auto-Tune?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.