Thursday, January 06, 2011

Found on the web

Reprinting weird things found on the internet isn't very intellectual and of course opens you up to the high probability that you'll say something just as weird or spell something just as incorrectly. Having said that, today I detected these:
Rolling Stone magazine publishes a controversial article in which Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal, the top U.S. commander in Afghanistan, is quoted as saying that the Beatles’ version of Twist and Shout is better than the Isley Brothers.’ President Obama has no choice but to relieve the general of his command.
From Miami Herald

When using quotation marks, in general British usage is to put the punctuation where it logically belongs. In general American usage, you put the commas and periods inside the quotation, even if that is not logical, but use common sense on question marks.

In the above quote from Dave Barry (although it was probably a sub-editor or program's idea) the period has been put inside of the Isley Brothers' apostrophe. This isn't correct in any country I know of, but it takes the American usage to its logical conclusion. In fact I can't really think of anything more American, except perhaps a Moon Landing staged by the USO lighting artists and the dancers/models from Apocalypse Now. In 3D. With Macaroni and Cheese.

Secondly, a description that made me stop and think.
The Dead Weather get to the down and dirty parts of White's aesthetic and, poked and prodded by Kills frontwoman Allison Mosshart, reveals the dark, seamy underbelly of his formerly innocent schoolboy sexuality.
From Careful w/ blog, Eugene.

Now, I have actually spent less time thinking about Jack's underbelly than you probably think I have. But now that I do come to think of it "dark and seamy" sounds wrong. Very pale and seamless, I would think. Some dark hair.



That's the best photo of Jack's underbelly I can find. On the other hand, I do agree with the blogger's choice of Sea of Cowards for one of the best albums of 2010, so I can't complain.

In other good news about dark underbellies, The Kills have finished their album. Or, in American, "The Kills has finished its album." (I think.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.