Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Land of the Free (temporarily saved by normal people)

The good news is that the proposal to ban children under 18 from the city after 10 pm and between 8 am and 2 pm was voted down.

The Capistrano Dispatch has updated its news story.

The San Juan Capistrano City Council on Tuesday declined to approve a tough new curfew ordinance that would have made it illegal for kids to be on the streets during school hours and could have even fined parents who knowingly let their kids violate curfew.

Some normal people on the council seemed to have opinion on the matter, but the clinching issue seems to be the cost of hoiking all sub-18 year-olds off the street.

Comments on my original mention of the vote range from, "Hey, England's just as bad" to "crazier bans have happened." Those are...interesting...but neither make me kvell with happiness at the accumulated wisdom of the human race. I'm not holding out much hope for SJC either.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.