Thursday, May 26, 2022

Kalanchoe collection: Fedtschenkoi "Lavender Scallops" and compacta

 There's a regularly-seen Kalanchoe called Lavender Scallops. Its pink-and-pale-green foliage makes for a pretty display in succulent gardens or in pots. It grows about 30 cm high and forms comely clumps. It pales (no pun intended) in comparison with its compact form. This tiny plant has the same leaves, but they remain upturned forming a scalloped cylinder. 


K fedtschenkoi and longiflora in pot against stucco wall

K. fedtschenkoi is on the left in this picture, with a rooted plantlet in the forefront center. I used to have a whole potful of them, but they grew a bit leggy over the course of a year so I started afresh. (Getting a bit leggy is a Kalanchoe trait.)

K fedtschenkoi compacta in pot with other plants in background

The "compacta" variety stays small. It doesn't bolt...that's what the compacta part means. This one is over a year old and is growing new stalks regularly, but remains about 10 cm high. I was startled when I got it in the mail, as it was so small. But that's how big it is. If you buy one, don't be fooled by the photos that show them as miniature towers. (If that ever happens, I'll let you know!)

(The other two plants in the top picture are K. longiflora and K. "Pink Butterflies". More on them elsewhere.)

Resources on K. fedtschenkoi can be found at Succulents and Sunshine and The Hosta Farm

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.