Monday, May 30, 2022

Kalanchoe "John Bleck"

 One Kalanchoe I have looks like a K. diagremontiana but has a black border on the leaves. It was labeled "John Bleck".  I couldn't find much information on the web about it, but here is the nursery's description.  It seems John Bleck is or was a big cheese in the Santa Barbara Cactus & Succulent Society. His name is associated with several hybrids and articles on the Crassulaceae.

He made a very pretty plant. It did, however, do the Kalanchoe thing and get weedy, leggy and huge - about a meter and a half tall - flower, and then die back slowly. I cut the tops off and this nice thicket grew up within a few weeks. 

Although it doesn't grow rooted plantlets along the leaf margins while the leaves are on the plant, if the leaf falls in the soil before it dies, plantlets grown from it. Quite a few grew last year. (They're in a separate pot.) By the end of the year, I should have enough to make a beautiful display. 

Kalanchoe John Black in a pot between a hedge and a wall







2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just came across your blog. Really appreciate all the Kalanchoe photos! I've been searching for this Kalanchoe 'John Bleck' for a few years now, but it doesn't seem widely available outside of California. I grow and study Kalanchoe exclusively and have a pretty decent sized collection if you'd ever care to swap for a cutting of this one.

Lyle Hopwood said...

Hi, Unk! Nice to meet you. Do you have a webpage for your collection? It sounds fascinating.
The John Bleck plantlets grew in a clump, but I think I can separate them to send a couple to you. In lieu of a swap would have to ask for postage costs. (Priority Mail is $8.70) You can write to me at [redacted] if you're interested. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.