Monday, May 23, 2022

Kalanchoe collection: humilis and marmorata

 I saw a Kalanchoe marmorata on sale and it sounded like a good idea at the time. It means "marbled" and the name gives the impression of a stately, expensive-looking plant. It turned out to be a bedding plant that I haven't found a way to display properly yet, so forgive the boring-looking presentation. 

Those tiles are a foot across, so you can see this a a large-leaved plant that would look good in a border. It's shown no sign of bolting or flowering yet, but Kalanchoes do tend to suddenly shoot upwards and ruin an arrangement. I'll let you know if it does. The marbling is a little dull, but again probably interesting en masse.  It's known as the Penwiper plant, or Penwipe. I have no idea why. 

Kalanchoe marmorata plant in black pot against brick wall


Don't get water on the leaves! They're smooth but they'll still scar up if water dries on them. 

Close up of marmorata plant in pot from above
Scarred leaf of marmorata

Another plant was sold to me as a marmorata, but it never grew bigger than its 4" pot. Eventually it put out a spray of beautiful flowers that lasted for months. Of course, I didn't take a photo of the flowers and eventually I cut the plant back to bring out the plantlets. 

I'm sure it's a Kalanchoe humilis. Same marbled leaves, but about 15 cm shorter. 

k humilis in pot in front of glass window

k humilis in pot in front of glass window

I'm sorry I butchered you, little humilis. In a year or so I'll be able to separate the plantlets and hopefully get more sprays of lovely flowers. 

I got more information on humilis from Succulents and Sunshine, though they do call it a "large shrub".  I don't call a foot-tall plant a shrub, myself.  More information on marmorata can be found at World of Succulents. 




No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.