Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Kalanchoe collection - the spoons. Copper, Silver and Grey Ghost.

 If you're in the right zones to grow Kalanchoes outside, a midsize beauty is Copper Spoons, Kalanchoe orgyalis. It's another furry plant, so it's sometimes known as Cinnamon Bear and rather less glamorously, the Shoe Leather Plant. 

It grows to about a meter, three feet, high and doesn't lose the lower leaves. (Well, it didn't until I let it get sunburned during a heatwave.) It's a striking plant that requires little care and unlike some Kalanchoes, doesn't go leggy and horrible at the end of the year. 

copper spoon plant in a pot next to a window
Copper Spoons


copper spoons plant in small pot

I bought a small one to fill in the gaps at the bottom of the larger Copper Spoons where I let it get burned in the hot sun. I think if you treat it well, the leaves normally last for years. 

This is such a lovely and long lasting plant that when I saw a variety of it called Grey Ghost, I immediately took it home with me. 

Grey Ghost looked ghostly and great for a few months and then turned into another Copper Spoons. I don't know if that always happens. There's no information on it I can find on the internet, but the nursery label was professionally done, not a handwritten guess. The plant is still a beauty. 

grey ghost kalanchoe close up
Grey Ghost

You can see that the lower leaves are still grey, but the top is distinctly cinnamon. This is a plant that has not read its own label.

Not closely related is the much more delicate Silver Spoons, Kalanchoe bracteata or Kalanchoe hildebrantii. 

blue pot of flowers in front of a window

Silver Spoons is the taller, more delicate plant to the right. It's a slow grower - this one is a year old. It's also the only Kalanchoe I've had that's been attacked by aphids. I have a 2" pot in the greenhouse with a young one but it's not exactly growing like Topsy.  One of its names, bracteata, either means 'bronzed' (nope) or 'bearing flowers on specialized leaves.' It's the second one - the bracts are the sites of new growth in this plant. All Kalanchoe seem to have a body part that's raring to grow new plants. 

Information on these plants can be found here:  Etsy Store, Succulents and Sunshine




No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.