Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Kalanchoe gastonis-bonnieri, "Donkey Ears"

One of the most spectacular Kalanchoes is K. gastonis-bonnieri. (Its name is as impressive as the plant.) Like a Mother of Thousands, it bears plantlets on its leaves. Not a whole row, like the mother, but one or two at the very tip. And the leaf itself is often over 25 cm long. They really do look like Donkey Ears, if donkeys had thick, green, hairless ears. 

My current ones are still babies, with small, rounded seedling leaves. Here's a picture of their mother, late last year, during flowering. 

large kalanchoe in pot in front of window
Kalanchoe gastonis-bonnieri, Donkey Ears

small donkey ears kalanchoe in pot on shelf
Eight month old Donkey Ears

It took quite a bit of care to get the plantlets from the leaf tips to root in soil and start growing. It's worth it to have such a display plant at the end of the year. (You can buy them online but usually you'll get one of the small ones, so it will still take most of a year to get a grown specimen.)

I found further information on Donkey Ears at Plant Care Today.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.