Saturday, May 28, 2022

Kalanchoe tomentosa "Panda Plant" and "Chocolate Soldier"

 K. tomentosa, the Panda Plant, is a pretty, furry, compact succulent that can be grown indoors or outside if you live in a warm area. (I'm in Southern California.)

The edges of the leaves have contrasting dark brown spots, making for a striking display plant. Mine have grown considerably but aren't bolting or putting down many plantlets. 

Panda plant in pot against stucco wall


K. tomentosa also comes in a variety called "Chocolate Soldier". You can see one to the right of the Panda Plant below.  It's a bit lost in a pot outside but would make a lovely houseplant if you can get it enough light. Care for them is the same - they just have more of the dark coloring. 

Panda plant and Chocolate Soldier in pot against stucco wall

You can find tips on K. tomentosa on the web. I looked at Gardening Know-How and World of Succulents.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
I sometimes mention a product on this blog, and I give a URL to Amazon or similar sites. Just to reassure you, I don't get paid to advertise anything here and I don't get any money from your clicks. Everything I say here is because I feel like saying it.